Saturday, May 26, 2012

Surgery Day

After having numerous ear infections and throat infections over the past year it was decided it would be best if Wilson has his tonsils and adenoids out and tubes put in. After a lot of thought we decided to go through with the surgery hoping that it would improve his health.

Wednesday was the big day. We did our best the night before to explain things simply and tried to make it not sound scary. Since Elsie couldn't go with us to the hospital we decided to have Ryan stay home with her until she woke up and then He would take her to his parents house and meet us at the hospital.

 Here is Wilson on our way to the hospital at 7 am. He seemed pretty excited.

There was a fish tank in the waiting room to help keep us distracted for a little while.

Once we finally got taken back to the pre-op room. They took Wilson vitals and gave him some tylenol and something to help him relax and forget what was happening. Then we had to put on his hospital gown (this was the point that he started to get scared. He was so upset and didn't want to change his clothes, but eventually he did). Then the surgeon came in to answer any questions and then the anesthesiologist came to talk to Wilson about going to sleep. Then the anesthesiologist too him away. They then lead me into my own little room to wait. They had drinks, snacks and magizines to help pass the time. About 30 minutes in Ryan joined me.

The surgery took less than an hour and they called us into this room with a chair. They had me sit down and put Wilson in my arms. The poor kid was so disoriented and sad while he was still coming out of the anesisia. (The anestilioligist told us that Wilson did better than any other kid he has ever dealt with).

It was so sad to see Wilson so sad and in so much pain.

It took a bit, but eventually he really woke up and started to feel a little better. And we were able to take him home.

Wilson was able to take his favorite stuffed animal George with him the whole time. Everything that they put on Wilson they also put on George. I didnt take picture before Wilson took most of it off, here are some of the things George got.
This is Wilson at home a few hours after. Once we got some pain medicine in him he felt a lot better.
This lucky boy got a visit from him friends Whitney, Michael and Sam who gave him an awesome present. Also, his aunts Sarah and Jen came to visit and brought him strawberry ice cream!

For the first two days he needed medicine every four hours to feel okay. Nights were the worst because his throat would get dry and hurt more. Now in day three he is doing lots better! Hopefully it is smooth sailing from here. Wilson honestly handled things really well. He is such a big brave boy!

No comments: