Friday, November 13, 2009

Kindness

Wilson and I took Ryan to work this morning and as we were driving home I witness an act of kindness that touched my heart. We were stopped at a light right next to pioneer park. And well I am a bit of a people watchers so I was looking out the window and the first thing I noticed was a man curled up next to a tree sleeping. Then I started to notice the other people around him several that looked homeless others waiting for the bus and then I noticed a woman walking down the street that didn't fit in at all. She was in her late 40's with a nice black and white dress on with really cute boots and she was carrying something. My first thought was that it was a bag and maybe she was taking the bus or walking to work. As I watched her walk a little more I saw her unfold what I could now see to be a blanket and lay it over the man sleeping beside the tree. I noticed that as she laid it over him she didn't say anything to him and he didn't say anything back and she walked away.

What an impact. As I drove home it made me think about if I would ever do something like that. I don't know that I would have, but now I hope that I will. I want to be the kind of person to cares so much for other people. I have so much and should share it. I hope that everyone can remember especially in this holiday season how fortunate you are and how many people are in need. And that this season shouldn't be about how much money you spend or how many gifts you get it should be about family and friends and be grateful for what you do have.

3 comments:

Trent and Whit said...

wow. Thanks for sharing that story, Mindi. I needed to hear it.

Christian said...

Mindi, you're a great person! Anyone that's even talked to you for a minute can see that! You might not be putting blankets on the homeless...but you serve in SO many other ways!

Jenna said...

Great story!! the kids and i were touched to last week, check out my blog for our story.
www.the4hmama.blogspot.com